Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Consultants' web resources.

Image: graur razvan ionut
I've been dabbling with website development since 1998.  It started out of necessity as a consultant and program manager for an IBM/Lotus business partner.  Part of my job required not only Lotus Notes development (using Lotus Script), but adding content to the company website.  I'll be blunt, even though it was rewarding to solve a script/HTML issue to get the desired results, I hated coding.  I found it tedious, and frustrating.  There were other folks who loved it, and were loads better.

Since then I have been keeping aware of tools and services that make it easy to build and host websites.  Not because canned sites are necessarily better, but because they are good starting points for getting online & building your business.  If they are free or cheap, even better.

Blogger.com is a case in point.  Free and easy.  No need to pay for a domain or pay for hosting.  You can add advertising, and affiliate marketing functionality to earn some money.  If you have a domain, you can use WordPress, a free tool, to set up a blog.  You can monetize your WordPress blog too.

If you want to have your own website, you need to buy a domain, and have it hosted.  We've all seen the rather adolescent GoDaddy ads.  If not, you will soon if you watch the SuperBowl on Sunday.  As compelling as cleavage shots may be, I am not all that impressed with the company's offerings.  I find they use teasers that get you in, but the total cost of ownership is more than other providers.  However, 1&1 Internet, Inc. impresses me. They offer domain names and site hosting, at the best rates in the industry.  They are big and reliable.  (Full disclosure: if you order anything from them, please use the links here, they will give me a referral fee.)

Once you have a domain, you need to get a site designed.  I suggest Wix, a free site builder that is flash enabled.  It is very easy to use, and there are tons of templates.  The only drawback is using this tool limits your design flexibility somewhat.  But getting online and in front of customers fast makes this my first choice.  You can have a site up and running NOW...you can then redirect from you 1&1 domain to your Wix site.  You do not need your own domain to use Wix, but it is nice because the free Wix domain creates a URL that is a little awkward.  Wix does offer domain hosting your own domain for your Wix site, but this costs too much for my tastes.  Going with 1&1, and redirecting to Wix is a good start until you can find a web design service to create that really professional presence that will go on the 1&1 server when you sign up for their hosting.

So for consultants to get on line quickly, and start building a brand and reputation quickly (and getting a few dollars from advertising and affiliate programs) Blogging, 1&1 and Wix are quick, easy, and cheap (or free).  I highly recommend you investigate them (and order your 1&1 through my links above :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Although I do not moderate posts, I will delete ones I feel are offensive, rude or hateful.